HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
***WE HAVE MOVED*** teamunclassified.com/forum ***WE HAVE MOVED***

Share | 

Faith/Religion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Rep : 1

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 pm

I just wanted to see where everyone stands on religion, faith, etc.

I am a Christian, but my views are very different about how the church should be. And by that I mean that the church should be a symbol of love, but more often than not it's a mark of condemnation. Now don't get me wrong if you go to church you should be held only as the same standards as non-church goers. Too often do churches place people who are new to the faith into roles that are viewed as leadership. And these perceived leaders make rash decisions or quick judgements that reflect negatively upon the faith they represent. I think many churches stay in their bubbles and send a mere handful of people to preach the Message. I think that everyone should be empowered to preach the gospel. Now this may contradict my last message, but hear me out. Many Churches, as a policy, will grow to a comfortable level and keep their people inside their safe zone; they have small groups and Bible studies, but don't take it any further than that. And that's all wrong. If the Bible preaches the truth, then we are denying what Jesus said in Matthew 28 when he told us to GO, out into the world and tell people about Him. From the get go people in the church should be equipped to teach. And the very first step is learning perfect, unconditional love. If you can teach people to love everyone unconditionally no matter what their flaws (cause lets face it, who DOESN'T have flaws) then you can slay that judgmental mentality. If you can do that then you have opened up the door to reach everyone.

I try to keep myself out of those "safe zones." Fellowship is important, but it's not the finish line. It's more like the cups being passed along as you run the race. It's only meant to give you strength as you move forward. You don't stop the race once you reach the first line of spectators holding cups. When I first starting getting into "evangelism" I inserted myself into the demographic that most churches steer clear of. It wasn't hard for me because it wasn't too long ago that I was like them; drinking it up in the club, multiple sex partners, getting my hands on drugs. I go to parties where drinking is heavy and drug use is common. And it's hard to describe the method I use to evangelize, cause I kinda don't. I just go with them and have a good time. Almost all the time people know that I am a man strong in faith, so they just come to me ask me questions. Sometimes it's in genuine curiosity, sometimes it's a challenge of my beliefs. But I keep to a simple formula: Listen to the question, respect the person and his beliefs, answer in the most honest way I can and never, NEVER BS like I know something when I don't. Through this method I have expanded my network of friends in directions I would have never imagined a few years ago, but am I pleased I did.

The last thing that I think is dooming churches is how they are stuck in their ways sometimes. I mean I hear them say they want to find new ways to reach the next generations (20s-30s somethings) but then you are singing "The Old Rugged Cross" to the organ. You gotta to appeal to the crowd you want to connect with and that ain't going to do it. You should SEE some of the faces I get when I play a rap song in front of these people. You'd think I just pee'd on their Mamas grave. Even when I tell them there is a powerful message of faith in the song, they just don't want to hear it. Rap music just doesn't belong in church. See back in the day God had Judges that would advance in faith, later on he had powerful prophets. Today I see that judges and prophets litter the worlds, it's just that the general population of the church drowns them out. I see this mostly in music. If there is a secular genre, there is a Christian equivalent. Check out these news guys coming up called "Gideonz Army"

They started off remixing other peoples beats with different lyrics. Malachi (the first artist in both songs) is off the hook, makes Lil Wayne sound weak.

Peep this song out real quick.

I love this song, because the message is powerful. And it hits most of the points on how I feel. 1) The church often times pushes people further away than ministering them with their condemning. 2) God doesn't require you to be perfect or have your stuff straight in order to come to Him. You just gotta come. He is ready to accept you. If you want to reach the next generation this is how you are going to do it.

I think the "Gideonz Army" is a suitable name, cause Gideon was a judge who led God's people in the Old Testament. And that's exactly what they are doing today. Leading the way, everyone should learn from their example. Not saying in rap, but don't be afraid to spread the message through love. Anyway.... I'm done. I'm sure I'll make changes this thread or updates to this post, but I'm done for now.

Sorry if I have a lot of typos in this, I fail at proof reading my own stuff.

Last edited by laserspeeddemon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysticicegelato.com/
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Now that I ran my mouth forever, what are your views.
Back to top Go down
p350gt
Ugh, BAWSE
p350gt

Rep : 35

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 pm

for me the whole christian world is still new. i was born into a Buddhist family. but i have always felt like god was calling me. in HS i found myself going to bible study with a good friend of mines, and it really opened my mind to new things. i know that i didnt live my life the way god wanted me to at the time. so it made me feel out of place like i didnt belonged.

after that...ive had a few weird run in with god...ive had so many random convos with the most random ppl about faith and god. but again i didnt feel like i could accept god becuz of the way i lived my life. i would get into fights for no good reason, i was doing bad things like drugs and what not. yes i had a crazy past. but i always found myself thinking aboout god and what he was about. bucuz i felt like i wasnt going anywhere. but i just could build up myself to go to church. i guess i just needed a push...

recently i met Trish, and i knew she was a strong christian from the start of of relationship. and she also told me from the start that we could never be together becuz of my faith. but we still kept on talking, getting to know one another. which slowly open my eyes to new light. and she gave me the stealth to go to church and seek my path with god. she makes me feel like i needed to change, like i had a reason to change. i have to admit, sometimes i wish i could be more like her. she is so kind in so many ways. but i think thats why i fell for her.any who..... from then i started to read more about god in the bible. even have a app that shows me what section to be reading...as of right now i want to keep walking this path to god and see if the words in the bible can change the way i live my life.

i feel like i cant say that i fully accept him in to my life becuz i think i have a lot to change about myself. i have to learn how to love ppl for them. and that is the hardest part for me. i always have a wall up when i meet ppl. and i know that i should love everyone like god says we all should. but i will keep trying to change....

ps i rushed this out of my head...didnt proof read anything. as im still stuck at work at 7pm on a friday night. just wanted to share i guess
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolledbyp
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Maybe we can do a Woodbridge Bible study?
Back to top Go down
Starbux

Starbux

Rep : 18

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Am I the only one .... not seeing the General Auto connection here
Back to top Go down
p350gt
Ugh, BAWSE
p350gt

Rep : 35

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 pm

No there isnt a connection here...but hey I am replying to a thread.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolledbyp
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Shoot. Can you move this to general BS?
Back to top Go down
barnabas

barnabas

Rep : 6

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 am

I grew up in a christian family, my dad was a pastor and now teaches for a bible school and was teaching at a christian highschool up until last year. now he is going for his doctorate to be a college professor at Appalachian christian college.

Me personally I am a christian and stick firmly to non denominational faith based churches, I feel this minister to me in the way that I believe and that I get the most out of them. I am severely lacking in my faithfulness to attending church and all things related between my work, and army, and family, and my wedding next week things have been soo hectic but I know that as things settle down I will get back into it.

its nice to see fellow believers and Paul that is awesome to hear about your conversion!! keep up the good work!!
Back to top Go down
V-DC5

V-DC5

Rep : 7

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Religion is like a penis. it's okay to be proud of, but please don't go parading it in public, don't argue over it, and please don't go shoving down people's throats, especially children.

Grew up in a Catholic family, I don't go to church, I don't consider myself religious but spiritual.

I believe in Free Love & One Love.

P.L.U.R

Last edited by V-DC5 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/svalencia
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Oh my. lol

What do you mean by " I consider myself religious but spiritual."
Back to top Go down
V-DC5

V-DC5

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 pm

oop's typo, I DON'T consider myself religious

as in I don't believe in going to church to practice my faith
Back to top Go down
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Ah I see. So do you still consider yourself Christian?
Back to top Go down
V-DC5

V-DC5

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:06 pm

No I don't, but I do consider myself a free spirit that believes in God, protecting mother nature, and embracing what the world has to offer.

Trying to be a better person over all.
Back to top Go down
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Gotcha! Wink
Back to top Go down
Mase!
Mase!

Rep : 26

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Born into two different religions. Dad is Muslim, Mom was born into being catholic.

Was completely raised Muslim, attended an Islamic school up until High School..when my parents got divorced..

Stilll believe in majority of what I was taught throughout school but do not practice as much as I used to as a kid...Being a Muslim raised in America and pretty much sheltered from "the American ways" up until HS, when i got to hear and learn about other religions than my own although i respect them I do still believe in what I was taught!

I do agree with Vee about the arguing over religion and what time people put in to "practice their religion"... I believe that no one should push or challenge someones faith by their actions seen by other people...your beliefs and prayers are between Yourself and God..it is no one elses business when, where, how, or how much time or effort you put into your religion! Smile
Back to top Go down
JAYREMIX
Ugh, BAWSE
JAYREMIX

Rep : 13

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:02 pm

i'm the same as Vee, catholic. I used to go to church every sunday though.
Back to top Go down
V-DC5

V-DC5

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm a strong believer that no matter where in the world you are God will hear you, not just at a church.
Back to top Go down
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:38 pm

V-DC5 wrote:
I'm a strong believer that no matter where in the world you are God will hear you, not just at a church.

Bible says the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Rolling Guy

Rolling Guy

Rep : 5

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm a firm believer in GOD. I agree alot with laserspeed. I also believe there are so many things that can prove he is real. I mean there must be a reason why alot of the world believes in him. Even Science has found some evidence what else can you ask for. I don't like the categories of catholic, muslim, and christian etc. I don't go to church anymore but i'm not trying to say it was bad; But I was born and raised catholic. I just don't like that when your born you are already part of that certain religion. You get no choice. Or that i have to tell someone my sins or that when they say the apostles creed they say we believe in the holy catholic church. I mean im not perfect either but i know that i have a strong connection with god and i have faith that he hears me. He wants you to pray to him and have a connection. I can confess to him cause he is the one who will judge. I like to hear what other religions say and take what i hear and decide whats best. I do like to hear about god any chance i get about god and the bible. I ask god to show me the right way and to show me what is actually right. And i agree it is okay to talk about god with other ppl but not to force them to believe in your religion or force them to "Believe." I read a line from the bible, and imma try to summarize it. It said that one of gods followers i always forget what there called for some reason. I believe disciples... but anyway one of his disciples questioned jesus after an atheist did not want to believe in god. The disciple said why do you not make him believe in you/god. He said i will not force anyone who does not want to believe. Also I know that god always tries to reach out to you in different ways. Ive had many experiences for example i went to a car show at a church in sterling and these two different raced guys who were talking to some of us and out of know were they chose to talk to me and slowly everyone walked away and i was there listening. They say that god sometimes tries to reach out to you. Sometimes well say ok but then later we forget. But there is much to learn and will never kno. We kno we are not perfect and god is. If we knew all we wouldnt be doing alot of the stupid things we do now lol. Hopefully i had a good input haha. Like i say there is so much to say about god. Btw by all means im not perfect i try but we are all natural sinners shrug Just like the little kid who said i didnt eat the cookie mommy with chocolate all over there face. Satan always wants to mess with us. Fear also is not of god. But imma just end it there lol Godbless!! :D
Back to top Go down
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 pm

I love how honest and firm you are with your beliefs.
Back to top Go down
Rolling Guy

Rolling Guy

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:08 am

Thank you

Thought this was cool. Sometimes when i felt bumed id look up something that would help me and found this once, was kinda interesting. Im glad you put this faith/religion thread!

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com/topics/mediaviewer.aspx?IT=AUD&IID=1348&LNG=en
Back to top Go down
trish
Ugh, BAWSE
trish

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 3:31 am

I think its important to find reliable sources when reading up on any faith, bc a lot of resources are skewed or misleading. For the hard hitting questions (ie apologetics) re: the Christian faith, carm.org is really good. Click on "Questions" in the left margin and I think many of you will find helpful info. I know i do! Ill reply with a personal response tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://vafoodhead.blogspot.com
Rolling Guy

Rolling Guy

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:12 pm

This is true def need to make sure sources are reliable^^ I was tired when i found that last night lol
Back to top Go down
laserspeeddemon

laserspeeddemon

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 pm

I actually just read the Bible and interpret it for myself. Prayer, Mediation and fasting are all tools I use to get a message for God when I read the Bible.
Back to top Go down
trish
Ugh, BAWSE
trish

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 1:53 am

it can prove difficult to read and "interpret" the Bible confidently depending on where one is in his/her spiritual walk. while accepting every little thing reputable Christian scholars assert is ill-advised, using their studies for reference can be extremely helpful. most people don't bother to think about reading scriptures IN CONTEXT. the bible becomes even richer in wisdom when you look at the historical happenings of each writing, why the authors were writing, and to whom. taking verses out of context can sometimes, and i mean only sometimes, lead to misunderstanding. this is distinct from the opinion (one that i also hold) that each person should read the bible and make it personal. so, again, i recommend http://www.carm.org for those of you who want to get a starting point, or even for those who want to further their existing faith/spiritual life. just click on the "Questions" tab on the left-hand side, and there will be different categories.

anyway, regarding "where i stand" on faith/religion, i am a Christ-follower. i, along with many other Christians (believe it or not, we're not all insane and hateful), do not condone "shoving religion down people's throats." what we do believe in is the scriptures, and God commissions us to spread His Word. this doesn't mean forcing it on others, it means talking about beliefs if the discussion arises. it could very well just be informative for both/all people involved Smile it might not even be a discussion, it could be showing your faith through your actions, or something to that effect.

while i know many people look at the institution (the church) and get turned off by potential corruption/politics within, i believe that fellowship is very helpful in making one's faith grow! the disciples and Jesus himself did not take on the journey alone at all times. the scriptures say that where two or three gather, the Lord will surely be in their midst (matthew 18:20). this doesn't mean that He's not there when you worship or meditate or your own, but i really think it emphasizes the fact that keeping each other accountable and encouraged is a blessing. it just gets dangerous when people depend on or look at the church and its people ALONE, and see all the sin and hypocrisy. we are human, and therefore we are sinners. gazing upon God and what HE stands for is most important in gauging one's interest and dedication to the faith.

church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints. and like my friend's dad (who's a missionary in India) says, "the church is essentially a bunch of crazy people in a brick box... of course there will be difficulties." but such is the beauty of the church, the bride of Christ. we should come as we are and start the journey from there, but also acknowledge that we all mess up sometimes; God is forgiving and our ultimate redeemer. judgment by (and of) others can really hinder things. we need more love and understanding.

paul, i really think you shouldn't feel like you can't accept God because of "how you live." everyone can always improve, God doesn't care what faults you have right now. the important thing is to accept Him if you want to know more about Him. He knows you are imperfect, we all are. so don't let that hinder you from your search.

also, i wanted to elaborate on the part of paul's post that says i told him we could never be together bc of his [different] faith. i told him that i grew up as a believer and i always imagined myself to be in a relationship with another believer in order to grow in my faith and keep each other accountable. but yeah, we're together and it's a learning process for both of us. i have no regrets, God will help me grow through this too.
Back to top Go down
http://vafoodhead.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Faith/Religion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faith/Religion.   Faith/Religion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Faith/Religion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Miscellaneous :: General B.S.-
ChatBox
Create free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com